Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Polo Anyone?

This weekend I learned that Polo is not only the entirety of a Fraternity Guys’ wardrobe. I had the unique opportunity to attend an actual Polo match, starring non other than Prince Harry and Mr. Polo himself, Nacho Figueras. The match took place on Governor’s Island and was accessible by fairy.

It was one of those experiences you have in life where you feel like you are floating above watching yourself as if you were watching a film. Around me stood women in beautiful hats and dresses drinking champagne, and men in their tailored seersucker suits modeling sophistication. It was all such an experience. On the less glamorous note... I am anticipating this week to be a very profitable week for New York City drycleaners. The heat was almost unbearable and the once beautiful garments were drenched.

Truth be told, the event may not have been as glamorous as I remember. The heat put me somewhere between reality and utter delusion. If it was delusion I am thankful that is the memory that has stuck.

I now see the appeal of witnessing any sport involving man and animal. I have been inspired to attend the Kentucky Derby for other reasons than my friends from college have suggested. It is truly amazing to see man and animal work together with such dexterity. The horses knew where to go and what to do; no direction was needed. I relished the added personality and beauty of the horses.

The horses and players were magnificent and accounted for a day that will go unmatched. The fairy, the dresses, the champagne, the Prince and the model/athlete, Nacho Figuras, all made for a day of sophistication. Polo simply defines utter elegance.

Of course, I should mention the pinnacle of the afternoon... Prince Harry fell of his horse.

Unfortunately, my day could not end in the manner it began. The stairs from the subway welcomed me to a parade that for one day turned the people of the West Village into the Village People. It was raining men, but there was nothing "Hallelujah" about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment